Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Awakening  (Read 1597 times)

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Awakening
« on: December 18, 2013, 06:39:55 pm »
+7

Earlier this evening I played a session of 15 games. The good: I won two of them. The bad? None of the others were ties.

I wasn't feeling too sharp (my eyes were half-closed and my head was resting horizontally on the palm of my left hand), but I still thought I was getting terrible luck everywhere, like winning the Gardens split in a Beggar-Gardens mirror but losing the war. The following game, however, made me realize that I was being a bit too kind to myself.

Code: [Select]
Pearl Diver, Hermit, Storeroom, Baron, Bridge, Noble Brigand, Sea Hag, Rebuild, Witch, Possession
The advantage of being P2 is that it forces you to spend a bit more time than usual looking at the board, time I fruitfully used to come up with something akin to the following read: there's Hermit and Sea Hag and not much else going on.

I decided that for my $3 I definitely wanted a Hermit, and what to do with my $4 would depend on what my opponent would get. Much to my surprise he opened Silver with $3, and to my complete bafflement followed it up with a Baron (Baron!?) on $4. Now Sea Hag was the obvious choice.

Quite a number of players with a ranking in the 5k-6k range at times make very odd openings, but then fall in line when you show them the ropes, when you lead by example. My present opponent did not belong to that group; with $4 on T3 he stubbornly bought a Silver.

On T4 he connected his Baron and was going to spend his $7 on the obvious Gol...

...Rebuild.

If anyone is curious about the so-called "aha-moments" in my Dominion career--moments where things suddenly click, where you feel like having just made a leap of progress, reaching a higher level of understanding--well... this was certainly one of them.

Having awakened, I used my fresh, new-found perspective to look at the board as if for the first time. And indeed, what surprising discoveries I made! Not only could I confirm the existence of Rebuild, but there were even more cards I hadn't yet noticed before, like Witch, and Possession.

I realized that switching to a mirror would be hopeless, but then thought that if I would possess him with Rebuild in hand, I could name Estate to gain a guaranteed Province, a 6VP gain for me, while he could at most gain 3VP from any one Rebuild play.

I think the idea was good, but my execution wasn't quite optimal (I bought 2 Bridges thinking "hmm, Bridge makes Possession cheaper, yeah, that's good"--yes, literally), yet I still came really close, losing by only 3 points.

Lesson 1: Possession as a defense against Rebuild feels like it's worth exploring, provided you can get it quickly and you probably want a way to play it somewhat reliably. Apothecary sounds like excellent support. So does Wharf + Village, which by itself is weaker than Rebuild.

Lesson 2: Despite the many rooms that Goko kindly offers, they are not such a great place to sleep.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
Re: Awakening
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 06:49:46 pm »
+2

A while ago on these forums, I got into an argument saying that Sea Hag didn't hurt Rebuild enough - we fought it out on the board, he went for Sea Hag and Hunting Party, and was losing pretty badly, until he got a Possession, and managed to first play it when I drew all three of my Rebuilds in the same hand. "+1 Action, gain a Province" is a powerful card indeed. I lost, but I don't think it was the Sea Hag.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 11:39:56 pm »
+2

A while ago on these forums, I got into an argument saying that Sea Hag didn't hurt Rebuild enough - we fought it out on the board, he went for Sea Hag and Hunting Party, and was losing pretty badly, until he got a Possession, and managed to first play it when I drew all three of my Rebuilds in the same hand. "+1 Action, gain a Province" is a powerful card indeed. I lost, but I don't think it was the Sea Hag.

Nah, sounds like he really played it well. I mean, the skill needed to Possess exactly when you had all the Rebuilds in your hand is immense.

Chaos

• Steward
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 01:38:19 pm »
+7

Hi I'm new on this forum (was a lurker for a while) and I was the opponent in both this game and the beggar gardens game mentioned. First I'd like to say that in the beggar gardens game i did get rather lucky. On my last turn I'm down by three points; I play a beggar and only gain two coppers. I'm thinking, Oh crap the game's gonna end on piles (duchies, gardens, copper) so I buy an estate and what do ya know my score goes up by FOUR POINTS!!! So apparently I now had exactly 40 cards (or whatever multiple of ten) and my gardens were boosted to give me the win.

About the rebuild game: I was initially somewhat confused when SheCantSayNo opened with hermit. I was wondering if madman bridge was really good enough to beat rebuild especially seeing as my opponent is like in the top ten on the leader-board. So I was a little worried I had missed something. But it did end up being a fairly close game in the end.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.528 seconds with 20 queries.