Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Noob's Expansion - Part 2 - Come rip it apart even more...  (Read 38469 times)

ChaosRed

• Duke
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Re: Noob's Expansion - Part 2 - Come rip it apart even more...
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2011, 04:35:32 pm »

It's true the window is small and not that deleterious, but I think rink's general guide is to avoid any kind of political problems. Your point about Masquerade is well-taken though, you can play politics with that card much more easily, but then your political play can only be targeted at one player.

I really like it with the two separate triggers, so for simplicity, maybe that's how I should go.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2011, 04:42:38 pm »
+1

Rink's list is a lot of guidelines about what makes a good card, but there are tradeoffs and you have to weigh things against eachother.

(2) Simplicity is a good thing. You don't want your cards to be any more complicated than they have to be. If you have an idea for a card, try to boil it down as simply as possible without losing the essence of the idea.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2011, 07:01:12 pm »
+1

Just to clarify, the position I wanted my guide to take (I may have worded it wrongly, I dunno) is that political cards are unDominionesque but perfectly fine as long as you're aware of the issues that they raise -- including the fact that a lot of Dominion players like the lack of politics in the game.  I'd just seen a lot of fan cards that were political without their designers realizing that the official game was so carefully designed not to be.  But ultimately there's nothing wrong with having a whole set of political cards, even, if they'd make for the kind of game you're interested in.

But yeah, the politics on this one seem to be even smaller than the little bit you can eke out of a few of the official Dominion cards, like Masquerade and the entire Spy family.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 07:03:15 pm by rinkworks »

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2011, 07:10:00 pm »

Good to know, thank you rink and pops. I'll adjust the card to something similar to what pops suggested. I'll remove the "gain Estate" function and add it to another card. Much, much obliged to all of you for your help as always.

Tydude

• Baron
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2011, 07:27:18 pm »

Good to know, thank you rink and pops. I'll adjust the card to something similar to what pops suggested. I'll remove the "gain Estate" function and add it to another card. Much, much obliged to all of you for your help as always.

Are you going to replace it with something? Because just +1 VP sucks when there's no attacks.

plasticbrain

• Salvager
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2011, 08:34:37 pm »

Are you going to replace it with something? Because just +1 VP sucks when there's no attacks.
really? seems good to me. but maybe a +1 Action would be appropriate to a Hero...

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2011, 08:54:12 pm »

really? seems good to me. but maybe a +1 Action would be appropriate to a Hero...

It's probably a terrible idea to make any theoretically-infinite-VP card nonterminal. It's probably also not a spectacular idea to make any protective reaction nonterminal (see how good Lighthouse is).

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2011, 09:20:57 pm »

^^^^Goodposting

I thought about it a bit, and I think some people might misinterpret reactions as not being "you can choose to do this thing and get this benefit" but rather "You're allowed to do this.  You're allowed to do that.  By the way, this always causes benefit A.  That always causes benefit B".

So someone could have trouble with my earlier suggestion of Hero if they are attacked by Minion and want to get VP, but don't want to block the attack.

I think you can fix that with a very small change just by making the second reaction ability "If you are attacked, you may discard this card and reveal it.  If you do, gain a VP".
Revealing from discard happens on tunnel, so swapping the order works fine here.  And it then happens to work under the cause-effect interpretation (although I think it's actually an erroneous one).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 09:25:34 pm by popsofctown »

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2011, 09:35:21 pm »

You read my mind pops, and beat me to the punch, the new card has similar verbiage to what you just posted.

Agree with bio, I don't want a non-terminal VP gainer, I think that's a problem. I've heard the argument about non-terminal full-defensive cards, I actually think that can be done  with a little thought, but let's put that aside, I want this to be a terminal card.

Monument is +2$, +1VP @ 4$ with no defensive reaction at all. I think based on that, you can make an argument that Hero is fine as is, at 3$. I think a lot of full-defensive cards suffer a bit on the board when there's no attacks.  Still, let's add a little something to it, see how everyone reacts. I'll post the new card shortly.

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2011, 09:50:22 pm »

Okay here's the new version for you all to judge:

I think the reaction verbiage is fine, it stipulates you can reveal for a full defensive deflection, but then you may also discard the card to get +1VP. The secondary ability is a really light ability to scout for the top card and decide to leave it there, or discard it. It seemed thematic, and also useful if you are greening early (as you often are in this expansion), or if you have a card draw to play with an action on the stack. If you happen to discard a discard-reaction card (like Servant) well so much the better.

Seems pretty decent to me now, thanks everyone for your help.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 10:07:18 pm by ChaosRed »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2011, 10:09:27 pm »

That's the other verbiage I considered, it just doesn't abuse rules loopholes :( haha.

I think the new version looks good, but I dislike that the main effect doesn't have a unique feel.  Maybe add Pearl Diver too?

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2011, 10:23:11 pm »

Yeah that's what I liked about "gaining an Estate" as it was relatively unique. It was odd in that you had to squint and wonder when it was useful. Of course it had utility for things like Gardens decks, Silk Road decks and of course late in the game too when the game is close. It had utility with other cards in the set too, cards that want Victory cards to discard, or trash or set aside for points.

But, you know adding Pearl Diver might be too much (for one thing I am crowded for real estate on the card as it is). I like the idea, it's just that the card is just crowded already with text. I should probably test it, if it comes in weak or under-utilized I can add the "bottom-up" effect of Pearl Diver too.

Thanks again pops, you've been a really big help today.

Tydude

• Baron
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2011, 12:37:19 am »

Monument is +2$, +1VP @ 4$ with no defensive reaction at all. I think based on that, you can make an argument that Hero is fine as is, at 3$. I think a lot of full-defensive cards suffer a bit on the board when there's no attacks.  Still, let's add a little something to it, see how everyone reacts. I'll post the new card shortly.

Hmm, that's an interesting discussion. Should defensive cards be on par only when there's attacks and underpowered otherwise, or should they be on par normally and stronger when there's attacks? Based on the actual cards I'd say it's more the former, but it's still a good question to think about when designing reactions.

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2011, 12:58:00 am »

Yeah I'm not qualified to answer the question either Ty. I can just tell you that without the defensive reaction, Moat is an average card. Even with it, it ain't all that grand. My favorite reaction card is Tunnel, my second favorite is probably Watchtower.

I cheated really, I have two full-defensive cards that riff off Moat. One is worth 3$ that is just a gimped Monument on its own, the other replaces +2 Cards with +1$, Trash a Card. This is really the weakness of the expansion, it is highly derivative and not particularly creative.

But I think a good reaction card is judged as a whole and the reaction is very much part of the equation. A reaction to attack card is, if  you follow that, a lesser card without an attack on the board.

But hey Moat gets you 2 cards, which for 2 $ ain't bad, but it ain't exactly Chapel either. :)

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2011, 01:26:14 am »

But hey Moat gets you 2 cards, which for 2 $ ain't bad, but it ain't exactly Chapel either. :)

*Moat gets you 1 card, because it only increases handsize by 1. (If you never bought Moat, one of the cards you would've drawn would've already been in your hand). For a terminal, that's pretty bad.

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2011, 09:38:36 am »

Moving on to other cards, (I think we've kicked Hero around enough and I am ready to test it). I agree with you about Moat bio, I had originally also put the line "but it ain't that great either", after the phrase, "for 2$ that ain't that bad".

Summon posed an interesting problem for me, it seemed to rate okay, but it also created a similar problem rinkworks ran into on his "Royal Scepter" thread...(I've linked to that thread below if you want to review his findings...)

SUMMON

GRADE:  C
RATING: 1.11 +/- 0.09
RATING POSITION: 10th out of 25
POPULARITY POSITION: 7th out of 25

BEST COMBO:
The card was designed as a superb companion to a strong attack and it turns out this was its strongest function. This particular combination was tested a few times, and worked quite well.

ASSESSMENT:
I gave this card a "C" because it was a bit broken. Actually rinkworks has a similar card  he's testing on this thread here. His is a 4$ card with a Throne Room ability added in, but the premise is the same you tutor for a single card in your deck, then play it.

The best thing you can do with this card is have a deck with no other action cards but Summon and a single, strong attack (or single strong terminal card draw). The Summon essentially assures you can spam that attack every hand. As your deck widens simply buy another Summon, and you can keep the attack going every turn.

It's problem is two-fold:

• This is really all the card is good for.
  • What it is really good for is really strong at times, and possibly broken, especially very early in the game (it can ensure you get Witch out earlier and more often for example than those who do not play this card).

The flip-side to this however are these positive elements:

• It actually didn't rate ridiculously high, in other words, it SEEMS broken, but testing suggested focusing your deck on just getting one attack out, only gets you so far. Chances are, if that one card is strong enough, your opponent has it too and is getting it out too (even without Summon). Also, there's better ways to get an attack out there, this one just keeps milling but never really gains cards or generates money. A more adept, agile strategy can defeat it. In other words, it's a "pseudo-engine" that works well early, but a "real engine" eventually overpowers it.
  • The card was popular, people liked toying with this card and sometimes they were rewarded with a win.

RECOMMENDATION:
I am going to tone down the card, just slightly, forcing you to discard to activate the tutor ability.  I think this can slow it down just enough to keep it in check, and keep it at 3$.

SUGGESTED VARIANTS
Here's the variant with the adjusted rule:

I'd welcome comments on whether the tone-down is appropriate, or just a comment in general on how a strategy of buying just one strong action and milling to get to it constantly is an effective strategy.

Thanks as always, for all your support.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2011, 09:51:42 am »

This card is close to Venture. But Venture is limited to Treasure cards. This is not. So basically this seems like a $5-$6 card to me.

Another comparism would be Scheme. This is a $3 card which also allows you to play your favourite attack more often. I think at the first few turns both card would play similarly, but Summon would be more faster and more reliable in the mid- and end-game, what definitely makes it better.

Dicarding a card is a good try for a disadvantage.
But what about removing the +1 Action? So if you have no village in your hand, you have to search for a treasure for the cost of an action. That would make it a $3 card for me.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2011, 10:17:33 am »

Venture's +$1 is subtle but really kind of a big deal.  An extra +$1 is enough for a jump of $3 in cost, if you use the base treasures as a guideline, so a version of Venture only offering +$0 would not be worth much at all.  Basically it would only be as good as the Treasure card you turned up with it, since the end result would be the same as if you'd bought that card in the first place.  Since your average treasure is rarely more than Silver, it probably shouldn't cost more than one.

Similarly, the problem I'm having with Royal Scepter isn't so great here, because this one doesn't Throne Room the action card you turn up.   In other words, the end result of buying and playing one of these is the same as if you'd bought another copy of whatever you turned up.  So at $6, and usually even at $5, why would you buy this over whatever action card you want to use it to play?

I suspect the solution to this is not something constant, like a mandatory discard, but something to reduce the variance of it being either very powerful (duplicating an expensive action card at a cheaper price) or useless (any kind of mixed deck).  I think removing the +1 Action is exactly that -- good suggestion.  It means you can't just repeatedly play your Witch over and over again, because you need support to do that.

I'd want to add some other vanilla bonus in its place, however, or it would be atrociously weak.  I'd say +$1 is perfect, but then it becomes a lot more similar to Venture.

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2011, 10:29:13 am »

This card is close to Venture. But Venture is limited to Treasure cards. This is not. So basically this seems like a $5-$6 card to me.

Venture is a Treasure though, so it operates differently, but your point is well-taken, because despite the fact Summon is an action card, it is distinctly better.

Another comparism would be Scheme. This is a $3 card which also allows you to play your favourite attack more often. I think at the first few turns both card would play similarly, but Summon would be more faster and more reliable in the mid- and end-game, what definitely makes it better.

Scheme can be more agile too, because it can allow for deeper tactics, while Summon really only functions well with a singular "marquee" card that you tutor for. Otherwise it becomes too random and really starts to sputter. Scheme lets you play more variety, while still keeping the best card of that set in your next hand. Still, again, your point is really well taken.

Also Summon has shuffle issues. Summon can sometimes shuffle to the bottom right next to the card you want to tutor. So you wait 2 turns to finally get back to Summon, you draw 5, then tutor the NEXT card for the attack, then you shuffle all over again and hope Summon isn't at the bottom. (You probably have to waste another buy on another Summon once your deck widens to this point this is a frequent danger).

But I am not really trying to argue with you, just letting you know how it plays and why Scheme, at times, is a stronger card.

Dicarding a card is a good try for a disadvantage.
But what about removing the +1 Action? So if you have no village in your hand, you have to search for a treasure for the cost of an action. That would make it a $3 card for me.

Yeah, this thought has occurred to me too. I was worried the card would lie dead on the board if I made this change. See the thing is, Summon+Village+Some really strong action card, is a really weak tactic. It will rarely come off, usually because the "some really strong action card" is also a terminal. And this is really Summon's strength, it summons that strong terminal to your hand and lets you play it often.

Once you add second and third action cards to the mix, it falters - a lot. I think even rinkwork's found this out with his card (he was initially testing it with two or three supporting cards and didn't see at first how much stronger it is with just  one).

Still Qvist, you are right on every single point. Discarding might slow it down, but the key mechanic of the card is still strong. It is particularly strong with something like Torturer in the kingdom. You can virtually assure your opponent plays with just 3 cards every turn with Summon, and you can do this very early - and often, which is precisely the time you want that strong advantage, as it can catapult you ahead to a point where the opponent can't catch up.

There are several ways I can put an additional governor on the card:

1. I can limit the number of cards it can tutor. This is a pretty key way to kill its power. For example I could say, "reveal up to 5 cards". This does a few things. One of course, is it creates a chance you do not get the card you want. Second is, it slows down the speed at which you mill through your deck, (slowing down the speed at which you get the Summon back into your hand). One of the real strengths of Summon+1 really good card, is it often puts you in a reshuffle condition, (zipping past your green cards along the way, which is nice). A governor of this sort, can slow that ability down.

2. I can make you discard 2 cards. That's a steep price to launch a marquee attack.

3. I can push it to 4$. Although, in my experience, cost adjustments are weird. Because you don't really deal with the power of the card, sometimes adjusting the price just makes the card slower to reach, (which can increase the swing-factor). Putting it at 4$ assures its accessible to both players on the first 2 turns. Actually I'd welcome a whole other thread on costing. Because the difference between 4$ and 5$ is HUGE...while the difference between 3$ and 4$ is largely inconsequential in comparison. How to cost cards is hard, really hard and this Variants forum might benefit from a whole discussion on it. Sometimes LOWERING the cost of a strong card actually makes a card more fair and balanced.

4. I can make the card a one-off, (as in it trashes itself after the main tutor effect is resolved). This might be the more elegant solution, although I might add +1$ or something. This would make it a nice card in early rounds to ensure you get Chapel (or some other highly desired card) in an early shuffle. Of course, the card laughs at you when you get the card you want and Summon in the same hand. (You'd be a fool to play it, and it would become a dead card that turn). In the later rounds you'd buy it just before your next shuffle, to help ensure you can tutor up as your deck widens. Maybe if I made it self-trashing effect, I could also add a Duration to it? This way it kicks in twice, before trashing itself.

My apologies I am essentially thinking out loud here. What I really need to say is, that you are right Qvist and the card still needs more work. Cheers.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2011, 10:39:04 am »

You're right rinkworks. Forgot about the $1 of venture.
So it might not be so strong.

I still like removing the +1 action instead of a penalty like discarding. It makes the card simpler. But as ChaosRed hinted at, it might me not so much fun to play with and exactly the +1 Action ensures that it works as intended. I cannot tell you that, because you were the one who have tested it dozens of times.

So I propose to leave the effect as-is but make it at $4. Your ratings seem to show that it wasn't that broken and making it a $4 card ensures that you can't open Summon/Young Witch or Summon/Sea Hag, what would be a strong opening I think.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2011, 10:50:01 am »

First I also want to say that the problem here is a lot smaller than in rinkworks case, as the doubling is really a great deal.

So what you can really do is buying your "second Witch" for $3. Which of course seems quite of unbalanced.  It's probably even a bit better than the second Witch, because it advances cycling, and could be recycled for another card if you would trash the Witch, but that' marginal.

But is it a problem for the game that you buy your second Witch for $3?
a) It does not kill the Witch, as you must buy one Witch anyway.
b) You don't want to load up with lots of these, as a Summon that summons a Summon is a card you would not have had to buy. Colliding Summons are dead cards in this strategy.
c) You would buy a second Witch anyway, so the game does not change much.
d) You can not play this game when you want to support your Witches with Warehouses, or defend with a trasher, or for whatever reason would buy more actions than your two witches.
e) You don't want to start double-Summon, so the best reason for going up to $4 is gone. OK reading Qvists post, Summon/Sea Hag maybe is not what you want to enable, so $4 probably it is not gone at all.

But $4 is ok I think, coming from rinksworks thread it really seems somehow wrong to let you play $5 cards for $4, but when you want to do this you are so limited in your strategy that is is not a big deal.

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2011, 11:53:23 am »

You guys are great, I really hope I run into some of you at a gaming convention one day. I'd really like to buy all of you a beer.

Qvist - Yeah testing showed the card to not be quite as broken as it would appear, well said. The trick to beating it was being agile enough, that you could counter-attack nearly as often, but then also build a more agile/robust engine. Summon was a "simpler/easier" route, that often worked, but often there was a better, subtler way to win. Removing the +1 Action would, I fear, leave it dead on the board in a lot of games.

I don't think it works at all as a terminal card (or at least I think if its terminal it's a 2$ card). In the situation where you had no ations on the stack, you really wouldn't do anything but tutor your first treasure and so the average gain would be maybe 2$ in the later rounds and far, far worse in the early rounds. On the situation where you got both terminals (Summon+the card you want to tutor for), well the situation is worse. You'd "hit the lottery" on a Village+Summon draw, it means you could tutor the marquee terminal and play it, but that is a lot of work and not easy to ensure you get that. You could build an engine to get that, and if you've built an engine, you don't really need the Summon. Not to mention, the design would ensure you'd never want more than one. But then I guess a lot of terminals wind up being like that. Summon's "appeal" is a fast, quick, instant engine to launch attacks (or some other strong terminal). It soars early, sputters late and isn't particularly agile, but can be extremely effective.

You assessed the card perfectly (in fact it took you just a few minutes to deduce what it took me 100 games to arrive at, I really marvel at how well you guys assess and judge cards). The card is overpowered when a card like Witch or Torturer is in the Kingdom and really lousy when other obvious engines are there. Your 4$ advice, I think is literally right on the money, if you'll forgive the pun.

DStu - Another superb post from you. Cheers.  This line summarizes the issue beautifully:

I think, coming from rinksworks thread it really seems somehow wrong to let you play $5 cards for $4, but when you want to do this you are so limited in your strategy that is is not a big deal

I think given the analysis from DStu and Qvist, I'll bump the price to 4$. Play test it and see how it goes.

Much obliged, for this, thank again.

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2011, 03:26:07 pm »

Moving on...

LAND GRAB

GRADE:  B
RATING: 0.92 +/- 0.08
RATING POSITION: 17th out of 25
POPULARITY POSITION: 3rd out of 25

BEST COMBO:
This "combo" was really an artifact that Silver Vein was the best and strongest alternate card to gain (more on Silver Vein later it needs revision). Land Grab doesn't really "combine" with anything of course, it fires quickly off the top of your deck and inserts a green into your deck and plops a VP token down for the hassle.

ASSESSMENT:
I gave this card a "B" because it was, well, a hard card not to like.

The card isn't broken, it isn't even really that good, but damn if you don't find yourself reaching for it in the later rounds, when you need it. The fact you do need it, usually means something went wrong of course, it means you fell short of a Province probably, can't afford to buy Gold this late and its too late to tune the engine, you need points, you need them fast and this gets you there. Of course, it all comes at a price, you are essentially forcing yourself to draw just four cards next turn, all for a Dutchy and a VP. Is one card worth 4VP? Well sometimes, you apparently concede that it is and this explains why its gain/buy rating is so high. It also explains why its rating is slightly below average though, because often the card was a last-ditched attempt by a player behind on points.

That makes the card pretty decent, it has a niche, that niche comes up often and the end-result of its usage is just about average. It strengthens a little when good alternate victory cards are there and it can accelerate "middle road" games, where 3-piling mechanisms are intriguing (and this certainly helps that tactic).

I call this a pretty good card, I hesitated to give it an "A" because let's face it, the card isn't that exciting or creative.

RECOMMENDATION:
I am going to just adjust the art on this card, that's it. Feel free to discuss the card if you like, but otherwise I'll move on quickly to the next card in the set.

SUGGESTED VARIANTS
I'll post the new variant later tonight, but only the art will have changed, the card stays exactly the same.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 03:52:44 pm by ChaosRed »

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2011, 03:42:11 pm »
+1

Yeah, I can imagine that it's right. As with the last card, I thought again "Whoot?!?, paying $4 for getting a $5 (Duchy) next turn, AND +1coin+1VP for free? That must be to strong!".

But as you said, you pay for it by having a guaranteed terminal copper next turn, and that is a high cost given you usually want to buy Provinces the times where you want to gain Duchies.

Note that there is no condition on gaining the Victory, so Throne Room/King's Court tricks are possible, which might be a little to strong, esp. as you can gain Land GRap by IW/Workshop without further tricks. So a KC-KC-IW-Draw-Landgrap can clean a stack all of its own.

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2011, 03:51:34 pm »

Note that there is no condition on gaining the Victory, so Throne Room/King's Court tricks are possible, which might be a little to strong, esp. as you can gain Land GRap by IW/Workshop without further tricks. So a KC-KC-IW-Draw-Landgrap can clean a stack all of its own.

Yes, yes, it needs a "if you do" clause. I've been meaning to make that change for a while (in fact I think it might have been you who pointed this out before). Thanks for reminding me!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.